Thursday, August 27, 2009

I see a beautiful city...


" I see a beautiful city and a brilliant people rising from this abyss"."I see their lives... peaceful, useful, prosperous and happy".  Dickens's immortal "A Tale of Two Cities"

Just moved from Chris Hani Baragwanath Hospital (Soweto, the biggest hospital in the world and originally built in 1941 for convalescing British and Commonwealth soldiers) to Helen Joseph Hospital to start a new block. 
As usual human resources are completely overwhelmed, in fact most resources are. 
At least Helen Joseph has a roof and I don't have to run between wards getting stuck in the rain!

Buildings aside, the psyche and truth of my patients remains the same. Even amongst the decay I see everyday I am constantly reminded of the insatiable quest that lies within us all, ill or well, poor or rich, educated or not, that longing and holding out for hope.


No comments:

Post a Comment

My Zimbio My Ping in TotalPing.com